Wednesday 3 October 2012

WOYWW - Journalling in the Garden !

So here I am still enjoying the sunshine out in Spain !

Well, all except my birthday last Friday when we had flash flooding & storms - so that washed out our stay at the hotel converted from a monastery - no evening drinks on the terrace looking at the mountains for us this time ! It also put paid to our plans to drive into the Sierra Espuna  mountains on the Friday for lunch  - to a little restaurant we know there tucked away in the middle of no-where!
So then as Plan B - we headed for Cartegena to do some indoor shopping - but the whole city was shut !
A festival day apparently ! So we trudged back over the mountains in the pouring rain heading homewards & the day only cheered up when our friends came over for supper !
Still despite our floods here we were lucky & in other parts of Spain people died & lost their homes - so I do count my blessings !

And the sun has come back out for our last week here - so we are very grateful for that too !

On my desk this week are some of the things I have been playing with ... water for me as well as my Inktense Pencils as the weather is lovely ! My journals & drawing books etc
Plus my Kindle for when I just want to flop on a lounger in the sun !
And a fly whipper for if the flies get too annoying !



I have been having a happy time whiling away an hour or two on the terrace - I have finished my Tick Tock challenge page - really enjoyed this challenge - so thanks to my friend Lynda !


Then I tried a bit more drawing & watercolour practice - trying to draw the only orange on one of the citrus bushes we inherited in the garden here - we hadn't been sure what type of citrus plant it was as it hadn't fruited before.
Sadly the skin had split all down one side whilst still on the bush - so it wasn't edible but I wanted to record it anyway - its not exactly an everyday event in wet rainy Wales to have an orange from the garden - so it was a novelty to celebrate here ! !


Then I have a page in progress in my large Journal - and I am still getting to grips with working this large !
This journal (a Strathmore Visual Journal) is twice the size of my normal journal & spiral bound up the middle - so it is also out of the comfort zone of my previous habit of working straight across double pages !

This is a new Heidi Swapp mask of Hibiscus flowers (we have a Hibiscus bush in the garden here too so it seemed appropriate !) & the page is going to be about having these stolen Summer Days we are enjoying out here. Hence all the warm summery colours !
At home the Autumn is already well set in ....so we are treasuring every moment we have left this week !
I need to add outlining to the masked image on the right hand page & add the journalling but it has been fun if a bit challenging working on something this size ! How real artists work on great big canvasses amazes me - I wouldn't know where to start !


Anyway do enjoy your crafty week & looking forward to seeing your projects later !
Ali x

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful journal pages. I love the sun in Spain this time of year. My husband leaves on the 13th for a month and I can't go this year...grrr...Oh well another time. Glad to hear you aren't too affected by the rains. Have a great week. Vickie #22

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that your trip was not as planned. The flooding is awful glad to hear it has not been as bad for you as some others. You have been extremely creative love the colours and the journal and that tick tock page so much fun!!
    Keep well
    X Julie(paperpathway) 59

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful journal pages, love the colours. I always find it strange when we go abroad to see stuff growing in gardens that we have as tender houseplants, or in conservatories/greenhouses. really weird,lol.Have a great week, Shaz #60

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got to feel for the poor people in Spain & england that suffered from the floods .
    Fab journal pages , jill #29

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I hadn't heard about the flooding (was out of town for about a week, and not hearing any news), that's scary!

    You're amazing, Ali, on holiday with your art supplies with you--
    fantastic!

    :)trisha
    #101 this week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Heidi swapp mask ..... Your journey looks great
    Sorry your birthday was a wash out
    Jackie 15
    Http://scrapbangwallop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy WOYWW - from sunny SW Wales! I am so jealous - I love Spain (we normally go there at least once a year, but haven't been since September 2010). Shame about the weather for your birthday, but at least the sun is out again. Gorgeous journal pages. Ali x #72

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear your birthday was a wash out. Lucky you with the rest of the sunny days though. We really do love your journal pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the hibiscus Ali and glad to hear the weather has improved. Hugs, Buttons #57

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ali love your journalling pages, lovely and colourful and so jealous that you are outside crafting in the sunshine. Sorry to hear about the bad weather....seems to have been an issue here too this year, we too thankfully were not affected.
    Happy crafting and thanks for the visit, hugs Erika.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the weather in Wales, even if it is a bit wet at times but I envy you needing a fly swat, seems an awful long time since it was warm enough to be bothered by flies and I quite miss it.
    Love your journal pages and the mask is lovely too.
    Thanks for popping by, still trying to catch up
    Ann B
    #50 (or I was last time I looked)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow your journaling is awesome!Tamika #14

    ReplyDelete